Tonsil stones

Please use this forum for any general discussions or questions you have about noninvasive ventilatory support and mechanical insufflation-exsufflation (MIE).
curiousgeorge
Level II Member
Level II Member
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Tonsil stones

Postby curiousgeorge » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

I am writing you to ask your advice on removing a tonsil stone [my son] swallowed about three weeks ago. He says it feels the same as it did when he swallowed it. He knows it's a tonsil stone because he felt it come out and then swallowed. He now is 18 so he wanted us to wait to see if it would dissolve by sipping on lemon water and warm tea. It hasn't worked so he said we should get it checked out.

[His] mouth doesn't open at all to see the back of his throat and it was nearly impossible to intubate him for his gastrostomy tube five years ago. It took them one hour and gave up and did the intubation through the nose. Are there precautions we should take and how and who should we contact to do this? Can he just have his biPAP on during the removal or go under? I'm scared he could inhale into his lung.

I don't want him to start gagging on it and throwing up during the procedure either. He said it feel like it's in the same place in the middle of his throat. He has gotten food stuck in the past here too. Should we get a swallow study, go to ENT? His oxygen off trilogy is 96-97 with no fever and acting totally normal. He just says it's just bugging him. It doesn't hurt and no sickness or swollen glands. I need some advice. Thanks so much for your time.

(Asked by a parent)

bachjr
Medical Director
Medical Director
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Re: Tonsil stones

Postby bachjr » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:02 pm

An ENT can pass a fiberoptic scope via the nose to solve the problem. Also, there is a jaw distraction device that can with time get his mouth open more and more. You'd better come here or visit a center for noninvasive respiratory management: http://www.breathenvs.com/#!centers-for-noninvasive-management/ihfvz

JB
John R. Bach MD
Medical Director, VentilaMed BreatheNVS
Medical Director, Center for Ventilator Management Alternatives
Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Professor of Neurology, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Return to “General Discussion About Noninvasive Ventilatory Support (NVS)”