CMT & Cough Assist - Oximeter

Please use this forum for any general discussions or questions you have about noninvasive ventilatory support and mechanical insufflation-exsufflation (MIE).
lanemll
Diagnosis: CMT (My Wife's Diagnosis)
Diagnosed: 1987
City: Macon
State or Province: GA

CMT & Cough Assist - Oximeter

Postby lanemll » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:45 pm

My wife has had some form of pneumonia for nearly a month and half now. She had a rough day earlier this week and were getting desperate thinking we need a cough assist machine. Even though we are coming to see you in July, we felt maybe the cough assist would be helpful, especially when she struggled with coughing. I immediately got an oximeter to see if her saturation was low. It turns out that oximeter showed us that she never got below 92. For the most part it stayed over 94%. While laying down at night it was around 92 and when she first woke up. During the worst part of her pneumonia it may have been lower. She still at times seems to struggle with coughing, but it is getting easier. She is getting better but our family practice hasn’t gotten back with us about prescribing a cough assist. Would the cough assist help her from having a relapse? Or should we get a peak flow meter for ourselves to determine if the cough assist is even necessary? Watching her struggle makes me think she really needs it, but I'm not qualified to make that call.

My wife may not be the worst or typical case you run into, but we feel she very much needs your evaluation. We are feeling better for the future knowing we will be coming to see you.

Michael

lousaporito
Technical Director
Technical Director
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Re: CMT & Cough Assist - Oximeter

Postby lousaporito » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. An oximetry reading of 92 while awake is definitely abnormal, even 94 is not quite normal, 95 and above is normal unless she was previously diagnosed with a chronic lung condition such as COPD. If she appears to be struggling to cough then it is most likely due to muscle weakness and is probably why her pneumonia and it's after effects are lingering. Getting a peak flow meter to measure her peak cough flow could confirm this if you get <300 l/min. Please share information from Breathe NVS.com with her Dr and if you can, try to ask our clinic for a sooner appointment. You can also try to assist her cough by giving a thrust with the palm of one or both hands to her abdomen, just below the ribs, as she coughs. She should be in a slightly reclined sitting position. I hope this is helpful and we look forward to seeing you in our clinic soon.

Lou Saporito BA,RRT
Lou Saporito, BA, RRT
Technical Director, VentilaMed BreatheNVS
Technical Director, Center for Ventilator Management Alternatives

lanemll
Diagnosis: CMT (My Wife's Diagnosis)
Diagnosed: 1987
City: Macon
State or Province: GA

Re: CMT & Cough Assist - Oximeter

Postby lanemll » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks Lou, I've shared the BreatheNVS.com with her but will probably need to present it face to face. We won't be able to come sooner unless she really doesn't get better but she is at this point:

An update: getting a little better (little increments). Last night was better. The night before was pretty rough. While she was sleeping I took another Oximeter reading (as I noticed the breathing wasn't good). It was moving around between 89 and 92. When she is up, it ranges from 96 to 97. During the day It does seem she has a better ability to inhale than exhale. Bought a Peak Flow Meter....She can only push out 145 with decongestants ....without, it was 125 (I tried it (yes we know we are not supposed to share), I was at 500 and my daughter at 475 - the device works)....ummmm...there is no doubt we are going to see Dr. Bach in July and I would hope that her regular doc will come through with the cough assist! She needs it! Even though she is getting better, don't you think? She has been living like this quite a long time and obviously it has progressed with taking almost 2 month to get over pneumonia. So glad you all are here to provide us pre-support to this process!!!

Return to “General Discussion About Noninvasive Ventilatory Support (NVS)”