Swallowing air while using the Trilogy Ventilator

Please use this forum for any general discussions or questions you have about noninvasive ventilatory support and mechanical insufflation-exsufflation (MIE).
lsdupre
Diagnosis: post polio syndrome
Diagnosed: 2000
City: Flippin
State or Province: Arkansas

Swallowing air while using the Trilogy Ventilator

Postby lsdupre » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:21 am

Dr Bach, Thank you so much for giving advice to my Dr Martin here in Arkansas on my post polio respiratory weakness and breathing problem. I finally received a modified Trilogy respirator and it was set up for me yesterday with the correct mask and tubing. My concern now is I swallowed a lot of air in my sleep last night and am burping and passing tons of gas this morning, is that a common side effect? I will try to get advice from my Dr but being Sunday in the backwoods of Arkansas that will be difficult. I spent yesterday in the emergency room in order to finally get the correct mask because mine was still being shipped from the supplier. Needless to say I would rather not go back to the emergency room today.

bachjr
Medical Director
Medical Director
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Re: Swallowing air while using the Trilogy Ventilator

Postby bachjr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 am

Yes, that is common, but if severe then we need to have you switched to pressure preset ventilation. The advantage of volume preset is that you can take a volume and hold it and repeat the process (air stack) until you have a deep volume to speak loud, cough, and keep your lungs healthy. On volume, though, people tend to have abdominal distension twice per week. If it is severe and happens everyday then you should be switched to pressure 18-20 cm H2O rate 12. Thus usually prevents it.
John R. Bach MD
Medical Director, VentilaMed BreatheNVS
Medical Director, Center for Ventilator Management Alternatives
Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Professor of Neurology, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

kalesb
Diagnosis: FSHD
Diagnosed: 2017
City: HAVELOCK
State or Province: NC

Postby kalesb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 am

Hey, I'm new to this site and trying to find out different type of NVS devices. What type of NVS device are you using???

TerranceD
City:
State or Province:

Postby TerranceD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi Dr. Bach, what if switching to 18-20 cm H2O rate 12 doesn't prevent everyday abdominal distensions? Should I lower the pressure even further?

Return to “General Discussion About Noninvasive Ventilatory Support (NVS)”