Flu with mucous in chest (with vaccine-associated polio)

Please use this community for general discussions about post-poliomyelitis.
BethFlanders94
Diagnosis: Vaccine-Associated Polio
Diagnosed: 2001
City: Dallas
State or Province: Pennsylvania

Flu with mucous in chest (with vaccine-associated polio)

Postby BethFlanders94 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello, I am 21. and I am a patient of Dr. Bach. My diagnosis is vaccine-associated Polio which causes overall muscle weakness and lower pulmonary function.

I was prescribed a cough assist, a vent for non-invasive expansion exercises, and a biPap with a backup rate for sleeping. I emailed Dr. Bach yesterday with a few questions I had regarding managing my mucous in my airways because I currently have had a flu for three days now, and a phlegmy cough for two days that seems to be getting worse. I have had a 102 fever for 3 days with small improvement only when taking Tylenol regularly. I am working my way up to 50-60 cm on the cough assist as Dr. Bach recommended, and this increase does help me cough up the mucous, but only when the mucous is not too deep. My O2 ranges from 99 to 95 when I feel the mucous blocking my airway

Today, my right lung feels very tight and the mucous is not really moving from where it settled (which feels deep to me). Would this be because it is too thick? Is there a danger in taking Mucinex Expectorant with decongestant to help move it? I also wondered what I should do if I am unable to bring a good part of the mucous up. Will simply moving it also help even if I cannot cough it out of my airway, or is it necessary to get most of it up to prevent infection? I run into this problem especially at night and in the morning when it settles down deeper.

Also, could taking an antibiotic without knowing whether it is viral or bacterial be harmful if it is actually a virus? I have heard that antibiotics may prolong or worsen a virus. At the same time, I know it is important to prevent any bacterial infection in the lungs caused by mucous.

lousaporito
Technical Director
Technical Director
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Re: Flu with mucous in chest (with vaccine-associated polio)

Postby lousaporito » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:53 am

Hi Beth, I spoke with you and your dad by phone a few days ago and if your O2 sat on room air is still in the same range you are doing ok. Adequate fluid intake will help with difficult to clear secretions and expectorants are rarely needed, in fact sections that are too thin can actually be more difficult to clear. As far as antibiotic use you should ask your primary doctor for advice.
Lou Saporito BA,RRT
Lou Saporito, BA, RRT
Technical Director, VentilaMed BreatheNVS
Technical Director, Center for Ventilator Management Alternatives

Return to “Post-Poliomyelitis”