IPV

Please use this community for general discussions about Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).
Nil
City:
State or Province:

IPV

Postby Nil » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello, i am a orthodontist. I have a 9 month old doughter who has sma type 1. We are thankfull to Dr. Bach for sharing his great knowledge with us. We try to manage our situation in light of his recommendations. My question is about IPV with phasitron. What do you think about daily use. And if we use it, do we also need to make chest physyotherapy that we do twice a day during 30 minutes. And do other ossilation devices make the same work like IPV with phasitron.

bachjr
Medical Director
Medical Director
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Re: IPV

Postby bachjr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:05 pm

While I think that IPV* can be helpful when kids are ill, none of my patients have it and they do very well without it or Thairapy Vests or oscillation or chest percussion or anything other than the CoughAssist. All the techniques to shake the chest are helpful when there are airways diseases but cough assistance is needed to cough anything out of the 6 central airway divisions which is where the problem is. More information about this is in breatheNVS.com
John B

*IPV Intrapulmonary Percussive Ventilation
John R. Bach MD
Medical Director, VentilaMed BreatheNVS
Medical Director, Center for Ventilator Management Alternatives
Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Professor of Neurology, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Return to “Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)”