Food stuck in esophagus

Please use this community for general discussions about Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).
Smamomtypetwo
Diagnosis: Sma type 2
Diagnosed: 1997
City: Spokane
State or Province: Wa

Food stuck in esophagus

Postby Smamomtypetwo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 pm

To whom it may concern,

Have you had something removed from your throat?

If so how did you do it and what precautions did you take? I like to prevent problems and know what could happen so I am prepared. My son Matt, 18 yrs of age has spinal Muscular Atrophy. He has a tonsil stone stuck in throat.
Should he be intubated or is bipap sufficient for this procedure to remove?
Should this be done in the children's hospital or is the ENT office sufficient?
His jaw only opens up a little over an inch and I am concerned that isn't enough room.
Hoping he can stay in his chair for removal but highly unlikely. Matt's much more comfortable in his chair with his neck turned a certain way. Should I worry about him inhaling any particles, gagging or vomiting?
Do they use twilight drug? He has never had it. Or should he be put to sleep? I am worried about the medications weakening his respiratory as well. I am going to call ENT in morning.

Thanks for all your advice and experiences.

Sma type two mom

bachjr
Medical Director
Medical Director
City: Newark
State or Province: NJ

Re: Food stuck in esophagus

Postby bachjr » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:33 am

The important thing for you to know is that he can always be intubated via the nose and he will never need a trach tube for failing extubation. We have extubated 65 consecutive completely ventilator dependent patients with DMD without one ever needing a trach tube. Therefore, his docs need to see my 2 extubation articles. Send me an email at bachjr@njms.rutgers.edu and I will send them to you. I recommend that your never consent to a trach since even at 50 years of age he won't need one for failing extubation.
John R. Bach MD
Medical Director, VentilaMed BreatheNVS
Medical Director, Center for Ventilator Management Alternatives
Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Professor of Neurology, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Return to “Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)”